5.25.2012

Closing the Door

More Free-Shaping with Kirby

After I did this video (I have a new Sony, by the way, but it was out of batteries, and I was REALLY IN THE MOOD to do a Free Shape, so I had to settle with my piece of junk Flip), I realized how much I hate people who use a clicker poorly.

Granted, I am a little bit out of practice in clicker timing. I haven't working a Free Shape in a long time, and Kirby really enjoyed this session. [Free Shaping/Clicker Training uses the dog's drive and free-thinking mind to develop the behavior that you have in mind- in this case, closing the kennel door from the inside. There is no luring, or verbal hinting, or doing anything that you would otherwise have to later phase out]

There were about eight clicks prior to the camera turning on, which went a little like this: Kirby looks at the door, click, Kirby noses the door, click, Kirby rubs his face on the side of the kennel, no click, Kirby noses the door, click, Kirby digs a hole in his bed, no click, Kirby puts his foot on the door, click.

During the course of this two-minutes-and-fifty-seconds, I convey to Kirby (NOT PHYSICALLY OR VERBALLY) to first touch the door with his paw, then specify his right paw only, then to moderate the force of his touch, then to pull the door towards himself, and eventually to cause the door to make contact with the kennel. :)

Please click Here if you cannot see the video embed.

1 comment:

CasaBlanca said...

Darling! I love love love clicker training! Good job Kirby! I try to get all my puppy buyers to do this with their babies... if you onto mind I am going to share this link :))
juli
Casablanca Cotons
www.thecotondetulear.com
www.coton.cc