8.12.2011

Veggie Dog


Every year, I start out 12-18 seedling cups in my house to prep for a small backyard summer garden. About two and a half months ago, I put out my seedlings, which were very large, as a cold spring forced them to stay in for a few extra weeks. The day after I put them out, I found that they had all been eaten. Everything. All of my baby plants, stems, buds, leaves, everything. Somebody with legs tall enough to get in the tall planter (which is about waist high) consumed the entire garden.

After recovering from the shock, I convinced myself to purchase replacement seedlings. I hate not growing my own veggies from seed, but it was already late in the planting season, so I had no other choice. These have grown slowly. The coldest June of my life, along with an iffy July pushed the growth of everything way back, even my strawberries, which are usually abundant by May. :(


Well, after waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and waiting, I finally have some growth.

And don't worry, I have encased EVERYTHING in chicken wire.






No comments: